Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Finally It's Over

It seems that we have been doing these blogs forever. When i first heard we would be doing such an interesting project throughout the entire year I was exciting, but boy how wrong I was. Though sometimes having a blog instead of regular homework has been fun, it's mostly been a pain. Every Friday night as I'm out with friends I take a second to think, and more often than not I remember that I've forgotten to update my blog. But I think we did this easily forgotten blog because it is training us for the rest of our high school careers. Not only are we taught responsibility, but we are also forced to use our newly learned knowledge in an environment that seems a little less school based. We have covered everything starting with just free writing with Writing About Reading, though I still feel mostly the same way about books I did back then I don't feel like I took advantage of one of the easiest blog posts of the year. Instead of showing myself through my work in most of the first five blog posts, I tried to use higher diction, and make myself out to be someone I know I'm not, just to empress the teacher. But one thing I definitely slacked on was annotating, when I started The Invisible Man, I had no idea what I was doing, all I knew was how hard it was to cram five little sticky notes into one chapter. Yet I still loved the book, and after reading my post again I realize how much of an impact the book had on my English learning. Using the blog as an output of this learning helped even more, I discussed theme and it was the first time theme really made sense to me. But theme isn't the only literary element we covered, we also did imagery in my post Bloody Memories, where I described a big event in my life. And after imagery we did characterization in my post Characterization:Beth, as we went through the literary elements I finally understood them. I think that I understand motif solely because of blogger. We have read many books this year, and for each one I have written multiple posts on themes, motifs, symbols, and any other element you can think of. When I wasn't writing about just class reading books, I wrote of which books I will be reading this summer, in post Summer Reading. The main meaning of this blog became apparent by the end of the year when we had to comment on other peoples blogs more and more often. As I read the posts that weren't my own, I could see the writers start to understand what they were writing about more and more as they made it to the end of the post. I felt this too, even in this post. The quote I'm choosing to reflect this entire work is this, "Many a time I sit and wonder why/This race so - so very hard to run,/Then I say to my soul: take courage,/Battle to be won," This is by Bob Marley. I chose this because the battle to be won is English class, and the blog is my courage to win the battle of English class. Over all this blog has been frustrating, a fun experience, and a great learning tool. So good bye blog, old friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment